This is a personal postmortem (aka retrospective), not a report on the world at-large.
What Went Right
I accomplished several things of a wider diversity than I did in 2012, particularly new-to-me activities.
- Sky-dived for the first time
- Went outdoor top-rope rock climbing for the first time
- Submitted two artificial intelligence papers to conferences/symposia, one of which was accepted
- Went to aforementioned symposium and presented a poster for it
- Wrote 25 blog posts
- Started working on developmental systems
- Started a new job (technically started mid Dec 2012)
- Wrote a new, improved version of my short film screenplay, Enough to be Dangerous
- Started working on a horror film screenplay
- Acted in a music video for Wake No More
- Acted in a book video for Kissing Oscar Wilde
- Acted in a a BU short comedic film called South x Southeast (screened in Dec 2012, but we’ll count it since the video appeared online in 2013)
- Explored Iceland
- Explored Ecuador
- Including rising to the highest elevation I’ve ever been at
- Explored (via a guide) the Amazon rainforest
- I ate a grub (it wasn’t raw–it was cooked (smoked) by the natives)
- Learned to ride a horse (in Iceland, also went riding in Ecuador in the Andes mountains)
- Explored the entire Freedom Tunnel in New York
- Went sailing for the first time (part of a company forced-fun day, but it was fairly interesting)
- Participated in No Pants Subway Ride
What Went Wrong
AI Paper Number 2
The second papers I wrote was obviously not ready (both the paper and the research), but I submitted it anyway. However, I got excellent feedback in the rejection.
Not Enough Personal Coding
Although I worked a lot on non-work projects, I didn’t write as much code as I wanted. Still, I think there was an increase from 2012.
Not Enough Hardware
Aside from testing some little programs I wrote on a NAO robot, I didn’t do any work with real robots in 2013. I need to improve the balance of theory to implementation with my robotic and computational intelligence ideas.
Not Enough Art
I didn’t make any new drawings except for a few doodles. Also although I’ve written some notes for new music compositions, I didn’t actually generate any new music last year…although I did finally post an old composition on Soundcloud.
I didn’t like being squashed in a painful/awkward position on the floor of an overfull plane and without even any handles to pull myself up out of this position. It kind of ruined the whole experience until later on after the parachute was out and we were gliding—after tumbling ridiculously on exiting the plane and almost going unconscious from lack of breathing. Apparently the instructor was supposed to tell me about making sure to breath (the experience is quite new if you are not used to having your face blasted with air as you plummet from the highest location you’ve ever jumped before), but he failed to do so. I probably won’t go back to that airfield and if I do, I will make sure I’m not getting on the plane unless I can crouch or sit in a safe, un-strained, non-distracting position.